May 23, 2019 | God Moments
Calling all congregants!
Please send your "God moments" (where you see God working in our midst here at Pender) to Joyce Munt in the Church Office. We will share these moments each week, so we can joyfully celebrate together what God is doing here at Pender!
God moments from the week of May 16, 2019
- We are never too young or too old to serve the Lord and learn something new! What a joy to hear that during the Prayer Shawl Ministry meeting this past weekend, a little boy from our congregation joined the group. One of our prayer shawl knitters, Ken, spent the entire time teaching this young'n how to knit. He’s off to a strong start! Ken was so patient and encouraging; and Jacob was enthusiastic and persistent and cheered every time he completed a row! (Our beautiful handmade prayer shawls are prayed over by our knitters/crocheters and are kept in the Church Office -- feel free to stop by and grab one to give to someone going through a tough time.
- Our congregation was blessed by seeing and hearing the adult and children's handbell choirs play the offertory hymn TOGETHER this past Sunday at the 11am Service. So wonderful to experience the musical talents of different ages as they used their gifts to lead our congregation in praise and worship of our Lord. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. (1 Peter 4:10)
- After the 11am service, ALL 42 shopping bags to be used to fill with food for the needy children at Greenbriar East Elementary were taken (and there were actually more church members who came looking for bags)! On Monday morning, several filled bags had already been returned! Our Blessings in a Backpack Ministry continues to give members of our congregation the wonderful opportunity to share the love of Christ to those in need. (Jesus loves the little children!)
- TWO geese were spotted in the church parking lot before the early service this past Sunday. Maybe our lonely goose, Gus, has found a new partner??!!
God moments from the week of May 9, 2019
- Wow! Lots of hands make little work! The unexpected early delivery of brand new furniture that was donated by our United Methodist Women to update our Youth Room arrived on Tuesday morning. Several people (staff members, congregants and even a preschool mom) "just happened" to be here and joined in to help! The youth room was quickly cleared out right before the delivery arrived. The willing hands and feet of Christ coming together on such short notice for a common cause was a wonderful, joyful experience! (And the furniture looks AMAZING!)
- We give thanks for the life of Kishore Carey, Pender's very first Common Ground worship leader, who died on April 28th of a heart attack at the age of 51. A question Kishore always asked others: "What is your God sighting this week?" Many members of Pender, other churches, friends, relatives and colleagues came together to celebrate his life. Kishore shared his faith and love boldly with everyone he met; and Pender was blessed by his help in launching our Common Ground Service many years ago.
- So many answered prayers this past week! Pender has an amazing, dedicated group of "prayer warriors" who lift up our Church family and loved ones in prayer. What a blessing to know others are uniting in prayer for us in our times of need. (If you would like to be a part of our prayer team, please let Joyce know.)
God moments from the week of May 2, 2019
- Our Pender Hill Preschool put on a wonderful Spring Show for our preschool families. Our Sanctuary was FILLED with JOY as our students belted out the songs they learned this year. Lots of families from our Church and community gathered together in our Sanctuary. Everyone left with a smile on their face and joy in their heart! What a wonderful preschool we have at Pender!
- Our Spring Women's Boutique was a huge success in so many ways! The best part was the joy, laughter and fun experienced by all those from our church and community who worked hard together throughout the week. All of the customers were warmly greeted and made to feel at home here at our church, as they shopped and conversed with the body of Christ here at Pender. Well done, good and faithful servants! (Oh, and they raised over $5,000 to support missions both locally and across the world!)
- Praise the Lord! Our Easter Offering amounted to almost $14,000 and will support: an Africa University student ($6,000); with the remainder divided evenly between: Chris Atwood Foundation, Western Fairfax Christian Ministries, Stephen’s Children and Justice for our Neighbors.
"Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Corinthians 9:7)
- We have a new member of our church family -- have you seen him? "Gus" the goose! He's been seen hanging around our parking lot. Please be nice to him -- we think he's lost his partner!